1. Fics must be at least 1,000 words.
2. You may claim one prompt now. On Thursday (August 19), you may come back for a second. Claims will close on Monday, August 23.
3. Claims are first-come, first-serve, and exclusive.
4. Up to three people may post on each day. If the posting dates fill, we will increase either the length of the fest or the number of people who can post on a given day. Posting will run from September 16 to September 30 to give everyone at least a month to finish their stories.
6. I will mark off claims as quickly as possible, but please be patient while awaiting your confirmation, and check the comments to make sure your desired claim is still free.
7. Remember, Uhura should be the focus of all your stories. We'd love to learn about her romantic relationships and/or her sex life, but make sure the story illuminates something about her character in the process.
ETA: Since posting dates are nearly full, I have made a fourth posting slot on each of the days.
1. One thing about Nyota Uhura that tends to surprise people.
2. Uhura as a teenager, maybe about how she decided to apply to the Academy.
4. The Battle of the Insults.
7. Uhura meets Uhura!Prime.
10. Uhura is the captain of the ship's roller derby team.
15. Friendships forged and broken, champions crowned, hearts broken, and what for? The 88th Annual Starfleet Multilingual Spelling Bee, that's what.
16. In which Nyota's graduate studies work consists primarily of traveling the earth and cataloging dialectical shift in alien expat communities.
17. Self-idulgent kidfic (either of the Nyota & offspring variety or of the Nyota as a kid variety): Anasi stories.
18. Nyota's favorite language, and why.
19. Behold the hills of tomorrow!
Behold the limitless sky!
Fling wide the gates
To a world that waits!
As our journey starts,
Behold! Our hearts
20. If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me, or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine
--Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
22. Gaila and Uhura discuss their religious beliefs (or lack thereof, if you prefer).
23. An energy being follows Nyota home. Said energy being? Ghostwriter, and shortly thereafter she leads a ridiculous pastiche of early 1990s public broadcast television because what else are you going to do with a convenient mystery aboard the ship and three empty weeks before you see another planet.
24. Five books Nyota will never delete from her
25. "The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff, we are the universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out. " -- Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Uhura translates a poem or essay or aphorism along the lines of this sentiment.
28. Uhura and Chekov are running buddies, and every now and then they have a casual roll in the hay.
29. Don't go too fast, don't go too slow, you've got to let your body flow
30. Stone age love and strange sounds too, Come on baby let me get to you
32. Uhura tutors McCoy in an interplanetary language. UST and/or flirtatious banter preferred, but if you want to seal the deal with sex, go ahead!
35. You said you'd lend me anything/I think I'll have your company
36. Knowing that McCoy likes her but will never ask her out, Uhura takes him out for a romantic Valentine's Day
37. Uhura ties McCoy to the bed, sits on his chest, and gets herself off
38. McCoy is not actually all that good at hand-to-hand combat, which means Uhura has to protect him and/or bail him out of trouble when their away team is assaulted.
40. Spock and Uhura discuss their religious beliefs (or lack thereof)
41. Spock playing with Uhura's hair.
42. What can they say without talking?
43. Uhura teaching Spock that the brain is, in fact, the most sensitive sexual organ in the body.
45. Lilly Allen's It's Not Fair - Spock could stand to learn a few things. Luckily, he's an excellent pupil.
47. O, to take what we love inside,
to carry within us an orchard
48. Fuck-me heels (or boots, if you prefer)
49. Their last ten minutes alone before their wedding.
50. Spock doesn't understand the concept of talking dirty. Uhura gives him some lessons. It turns out he's even better at it than she is.
51. Uhura thinks Spock is going to find her preference for talking illogical, but he reveals that Vulcans have a tradition of talking their way through intimate stuff and he's very, very good at it.
52. Reboot version of or scenes from Uhura's Song
53. Skinny Dipping (Academy era)
54. Break-up sex
56. Starfleet office sex
57. Dear John letter. Angst fest galore.
59. AU - Teenage Spock visiting Africa with his father, the Ambassador, escapes his fancy embassy and meets teenage Uhura, and they spend a day together.
63. It's Spock's first birthday after Vulcan's destruction. Uhura, being the awesome girlfriend she is, manages to track down an object from Vulcan (maybe related to his family) for his gift. Then they have lots of sex.
66. First time forbidden!sex during the Academy time. Spock is extremely rough with her and afterwords feels bad about it, but Uhura shows him that she can handle him. Furniture breaking is always a plus.
69. If they were being written by Nicholas Sparks (you know-- disapproving parents, long separation, tragedy)
70. Her (literal or figurative) milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
71. Uhura is incredibly turned on by Spock's super human strength, whether it's in the gym or in the bedroom.
73. During sex, she curses like a sailor.
75. Uhura telling their daughter how she and Spock got together.
76. Sarek makes a visit to San Francisco but he and Spock are still not speaking. Uhura goes to Sarek and convinces him of all that he's missing out on in his son's life, and facilitates a reunion.
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
--Kahlil Gibran had no way of knowing about Vulcans.
(Quote from, "On Love")
79. We'd share each other like an island
Until exhausted, close our eyelids
And dreaming, pick up from
The last place we left off
--Set the fire to the third bar (Snow Patrol)
80. No dawn, no day
I'm always in this twilight
In the shadow of your heart
--Cosmic Love (Florence and the Machine)
81. All my life
I have dreamed of this
But I could not see your face
Don't ask why two such distant stars
Can fall right into place
--We Could Be in Love (Miss Saigon)
82. With friends I still feel
Little darling I believe you could
Help me a lot
Just take my hand
And lead me where you will
No wave goodnight
Just make love
--Love and Affection (Joan Armatrading)
83. Someone told me that destiny makes a fool of us,
That it gives us nothing and that it promises everything,
Seem that happiness is in hand.
As we reach out, we find ourselves crazy.
Yet someone told me
that you still love me...
84. Just like a prayer, your voice can take me there.
Just like a muse to me, you are a mystery.
Just like a dream, you are not what you seem.
85. The light that rises from your feet to your hair,
the strength enfolding your delicate form,
are not mother of pearl, not chilly silver:
you are made of bread, a bread the fire adores.
(Pablo Neruda, Sonnet XIII)
86. When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
-- "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
87. My heart stops
When you look at me
Just one touch
Now baby I believe
This is real
So take a chance
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back
88. There is this transcendental, on another level
Boy, you're my lucky star
I wanna walk on your wave length
And be there when you vibrate
For you I risk it all… all
90. Morass and quagmire and the plant that Sulu gave her that is taking over her room. When it becomes too much, they undertake pruning, and also hot sex when they are done.
Such a long night
Pick up that key
Don't drop your gaze in your coffee
Is it me?
Do I look beautiful in the half light?"
92. "Life on the moon
Couldn't be any stranger
Life on the moon
Wouldn't feel as far away
The life that I knew, it's through
And I'm gonna need you more than ever"
Unspecified Het Ships
94. Pretty please Uhura teaching/showing Spock something for the first time. It could be another crew member if that is how you ship, but a first time encounter please.
The Moving Finger writes: and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
-- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
96. A Very Long Engagement (Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles) - Uhura as either Audrey Tatou or Marion Cotillard's character.
97. (Either as an Inception crossover or Talos IV fic) She knows it never really happened, but all the same, it was a summer she'll never forget.
98. The language of anatomy and an anatomy of language.
99. Chapel, and Uhura are sent to the planet Lesbos for an away mission, which is governed by Amelia Earhart.
103. Gaila shows Uhura something she's never done before, then Uhura shows Gaila something that she's never done before, repeat as needed to make a whole day of activities.
105. Sonic shower
106. Uhura hasn't been with a woman before, but after completing a difficult mission with Number One, she can't deny the attraction.
107. Playing Rapunzel
Other femslash prompts
109. Uhura/Cindy Mayweather (aka Janelle Monae) - Each year on her birthday, Cindy gives Nyota a few more languages.
110. Yolanda-Saffron-Bridget (of Firefly) meets Uhura.
Threesomes & Moresomes
111. Uhura/Kirk/Spock - a breakdown in communication
112. Uhura/Kirk/Spock - "Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated." -Marquis de Sade in the movie Quills
114. Uhura/Spock/Gaila - If you can't take the heat.
115. Uhura/Spock/Gaila - Diplomatic mission mishap: something that results in widespread intoxication leading to Gaila/Spock/Uhura threesome. About which they have no regrets later, naturally. Away mission mishaps = fact of life in Starfleet, no?
I who am dead a thousand years,
And wrote this sweet archaic song,
Send you my words for messengers
The way I shall not pass along.
-"To a Poet a Thousand Years Hence", James Elroy Flecker
Uhura and two lovers in bed, conversing about a poem she read along these lines, or another culture's love poem to two or more people (an Andorian love poem to the author's three spouses?) or so on.
117. Uhura/Gaila/McCoy - away-mission mishap
118. Uhura/Kirk/McCoy: When Spock takes a leave of absence to take a new bond-mate on New Vulcan, Kirk and McCoy offer Nyota a place to heal her heart; and then offer her a place in theirs. (And how does everyone, most importantly Spock, react when they find out?)
119. Uhura/Spock/Chapel - teardrops on my guitar
120. F/M/M of your choice - Uhura enjoys double penetration.
123. Uhura/Kirk/Spock/McCoy: they're on a planet (Risa?) that allows for people to marry multiple partners, and Uhura's the one to suggest they all take the plunge together.
124. If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart. (Mandela)
127. Use what language you will, you can never say anything but what you are. (Emerson)
128. Now success is like lust, she's good to the touch
She's good for the moment but she's never enough
129. I was driven because I wanted to be like others.
I was afraid of what was wild and indecent in me.
130. She handed me a mouth guard and said "here, you're going to need this."
131. I sink way too high, man,
I soar way too low.
133. A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you in the cell, going "Damn, that was fun."
135. Secret agent!Uhura, AU or Trekverse
136. Nyota starts the monthly Enterprise poetry slam.
137. "Nyota Uhura, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."
138. The Enterprise is thrust back in time to the 1960s, where Uhura goes undercover as the frontwoman for a Motown girl group because the head of a major record label is an evil alien implanting mind-control messages into every album his company produces.
That can crack the darkest sky wide open
-- 'Half Acre, Dan Messe
Uhura is carrying a secret that can start or end a war, or utterly change life on a planet, or cause or ameliorate some other cataclysm. Possibly a romantic partner aids her as she works to get this information to the right people and/or keep it from the wrong ones.
Nyota Uhura of the Mirrorverse.
142. Let me go
Where the world is mine
and you are not my world
143. I'm working a sweat, but it's all good
I'm breaking my back but it's all good
'Cause I know I'll get it back
Yeah, I know your hands will clap
And I'm working,
Yeah, I'm working
To make butter for my piece of bun
(Lyrics from "I'm Good, I'm Gone" by Lykke Li)
144. His face opens and you see the sun.
(Peonies, fizzy wine, fanfares, gongs.)
You would do anything for him;
you scarcely think of yourself.
But you will not die for him.
The boundless thing, Romance,
known for the first time, and at once
its limit. Or yours: You will not die.
145. The Contrariness of the Mad Farmer
I am done with apologies. If contrariness is my
inheritance and destiny, so be it. If it is my mission
to go in at exits and come out at entrances, so be it.
I have planted by the stars in defiance of the experts,
and tilled somewhat by incantation and by singing,
and reaped, as I knew, by luck and Heaven’s favor,
in spite of the best advice. If I have been caught
so often laughing at funerals, that was because
I knew the dead were already slipping away,
preparing a comeback, and can I help it?
146. Sometimes I feel so happy,
Sometimes I feel so sad.
Sometimes I feel so happy,
But mostly you just make me mad.
September 16: (1) igrockspock (2) mariole (3) cakeordeath44 (4)
September 17: (1) thistlerose (2) slwmtiondaylite(3) (4)
September 18: (1) djkiwi2576 (2) abigail89 (3) aquasoulsis (4)
September 19: (1) kitausu (2) mariole (3) yalegirl03 (4)
September 20: (1) leftarrow (2) jouissant (3) hopefuladdict (4) florahart
September 21: (1) possibly_thrice (2) sternel (3)danahid (4)
September 22: (1) shighola (2) ejectingthecore (3) cakeordeath44 (4)
September 23: (1) hellokatzchen (2) wunnerwmn (3) kitausu (4) spockchick
September 24: (1) hopefuladdict (2) ninhursag (3) merisunshine36 (4)
September 25: (1) djkiwi2576 (2) boosette (3) deadcarpets (4)
September 26: (1) witblogi (2) jouissant (3) theworldsforgot (4) soixante_quinze
September 27: (1) circ_bamboo (2) yalegirl03 (3) joyeuses (4) settiai
September 28: (1) marymac (2) ejectingthecore (3)forthisreason (4) katmarajade
September 29: (1) stexgirl2000 (2)mardia (3)eppic (4) rubynye
September 30: (1) yeomanrand (2) jlneveloff (3) slwmtiondaylite (4) linstock